How MAHS Students and Staff Celebrate The Holidays

Yesenia Garcia, Reporter

Curious to know how some of the students and staff celebrate the holiday season? Check out some of the responses below!

Mr.To

“For the Christmas holiday we all gather around as a family and we all bring different dishes to share. We also play a game called white elephant, where we all bring a gift and we do transactions and we can steel gifts from each other. It’s a lot of fun.”

Mr. Nwosu

Every year we all gather around as a family and we bring different kinds of food that include Nigerian dishes or sometimes we invite friends over and they bring different foods. We do this every year.”

Mr. Powell

“I have a very small family here In California, but during the holidays my family and I spend a lot of time eating and talking about the old days when my kids were small and that’s about it”.

Ms. Maribel

“On Christmas day we all meet up at my house and we start cooking. Something different that we do it that we do not make tamales but at twelve we all eat the 8 grapes.”

Ms. Orellana

“I think that our cultural is a very important thing for us as we share it as a united family. For my family and I, it is very important to celebrate the holidays in our cultural way. Also we can never forget the food. Food is the best thing, like the tamales and pan con pollo. Also, at the beginning of a holiday we always go to church to give thanks but.”

Mrs. Sullivan

“I’m Jewish so during the holidays my husband and I celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah because my husband is Christian. We wrap and unwrap a lot of presents with our family and write a lot of holiday cards. Another thing we do every year is visit Sacramento to celebrate Christmas with my husband’s family.”

Mr. Jirn

“We don’t do too much. We hang out with the family, watch a lot of movies, eat and open presents together.”

Jasmine Bravo, student

“Well for christmas we all open our gifts at midnight. Before we do that, we wait for the whole family to come together. Everyone has to be there before we open the gifts.”

Yalitza Monterrosa, student

“We spend a lot of time with the family and it is great because we are all united. My dad makes gumbo that is delicious and we have a nice dinner together. Before we start eating, we always say a prayer.”