Teachers Voice Opinion About Workload

Nataly Jimenez and Stephanie Corril

Our teachers here at Manual Arts are really hard-working people. But have we considered the effect of the pandemic on their workload. Sure, we cannot assume that all teachers feel this way. We went to four teachers to ask their opinion about this situation. We want to thank Ms. Ayala, Mr. Ausbon, Mr. Simbulan, and Mr. Gronlund for taking time out of their day to answer four questions.

The first teacher is Ms. Ayala. She teaches Spanish in the Doolittle building.

Do you think teachers are overworked at Manual Arts Senior High?

Ayala: Considering we are still in the pandemic, yes, teachers are definitely overworked. I think we are dealing with social emotional concerns, especially when we become close to students. We see that sometimes what students need is not academic. We often need to be more emotionally supportive. We have to take time out to make sure that our students are okay. Sometimes we don’t have the opportunity to do it all. So it’s very challenging.

Do you think you are overworked?

Ayala: I think teachers have always been overworked.

If you can change one thing to help out teachers, what would it be and why would you change it?

Ayala: I think that I would ask students what their interests are to make sure that students…are not forced to take a class or…are overwhelmed. I feel that students should really have a voice. We need to guide students…emotionally, not just because they need to meet an A-G requirement.

What is your coping mechanism to deal with stress? What is your hobby?

Ayala: Music helps me relieve stress. Also, spending time with my family, laughing, spending time with my friends. Also, meditation. I have a lot of coping mechanisms, but enjoying what I do helps me.

The second teacher is Mr. Ausbon. He teaches math in the Doolittle building.

Ausbon: Currently, with the pandemic, I would say yes. Teachers have been having to cover for others so it takes up their planning and grading time. Even before the pandemic, I would say yes. They are overworked now because they have to cover for other teachers.

Do you think you are overworked?

Ausbon: So that’s where I’d say we are overworked because I don’t think we get compensated for what we actually do. So all teachers can say that they have to work beyond school hours.

Ausbon: I would implement a longer lunch period and higher pay. Instead of 30 minutes, it would be 45 minutes. A higher pay because you know we have to be compensated. A 20-25 percent increase would be nice and fair because you know it’d cover what we do. To be a good teacher, we have to put in the work over the weekend. But that’s supposed to be our time. It’d be nice to just have more time.

Ausbon: Some of my coping mechanisms include a lot of sports for me, you know. I like to relieve the stress by going to play golf, basketball and a lot of cardio exercise to take my mind off of drama. It keeps me relaxed.  [This] keeps me in good shape and healthy. I also like comedy movies to give myself a good laugh.

The third teacher is Mr. Simbulan. He teaches English in the double bungalows.

Simbulan: No. The amount of work the teachers had before and after distance learning has been the same. Sure, we have weekly COVID tests for part of our planning period. But other than that, we have the same amount of work that we signed up for.

Do you think you are overworked?

Simbulan: The pandemic really allowed me to digitize all of my standards-based projects and assignments, and it actually made it easier for me to prepare my lesson plans and whiteboard configurations this year. The time I’ve saved this year allowed me to edit my lesson plans so that they can be even more engaging so that the students can catch up…Students really deserve teachers who work as hard as [teachers] can. We have to remember that some [students] only have one more year of high school. Being overworked is actually a want for me. I hope students are thankful for it — this is all for them after all. So even if I mostly will say I work harder than most teachers, I still do not think I am being overworked. Some teachers should work a little harder before feeling like they are being overworked. Feel me?

Simbulan: Have better teachers so that the best teachers are not being over observed. Itś great to be thought of when other teachers need to see “how to be like the best”; however, it would be nice if the best teacher can get a break from being watched to show other teachers how to.

Simbulan: I like to not think about work and remind myself that I am more than just a teacher, even though I am so great. I am also great at other things like being a person.

The fourth teacher is Mr. Gronlund. He teaches Music and Choir.

Gronlund: Not to be shady. I do think that some teachers work harder than others. But yeah, I think that we are, especially after the pandemic. [We are] picking up a lot of slack and trying to help students catch up to where, technically, they should be. And [we are] also dealing with a lot of the extra mental health issues that have happened from the pandemic, not only with the students but with ourselves. Trying to deal with all of that, I think it’s been a lot to handle for all of us.

Do you think you are overworked?

Gronlund: Yes, I think that I’m overworked… I know where I want my students to be and where they could be. As the choir program in the music department has changed, I have realized that offering new classes and different kinds of classes is going to help our students be the most relevant lifelong music learners. And that makes me do a lot more on lesson planning. So, I have five different classes. I do lesson plans for every week. So it’s just a lot of work. And on top of that, I’m going to grad school. So yes, I am overworked. But I love it. I do. I promise you.

Gronlund: I hate to say it because…we’ve heard this: the way teachers are paid. I feel like when I’m sitting at home and doing extra (calling parents & doing lesson plans), I don’t know if my lesson is going to work. At least I know I’m making the money. That kind of makes this worth it. Yes, the students and the relationships with the students are worth it. That’s why I’m still here. I think that if teachers’ pay improved, teachers wouldn’t have to worry about their finances. I don’t want to be rich. I think it will really motivate [teachers].

Gronlund: I cross fit four days a week before work. I try to go once on the weekend. [I also take] alone time when needed, sometimes canceling plans. [I go] camping at least once a month…and…journaling. When you find a job that you are passionate and love, it is easier to work. The long days don’t seem that way because you are doing something you are passionate about.