Bringing H.O.P.E to the Community

Shanell Deshone and Yozabeth Navarrete

The head of H.O.P.E Club Yubani Sosa Pineda has initiated fundraisers to help foundations that support those in need since since September of 2012.

H.O.P.E, which stands for Helping Other People Everyday,  is a community service oriented club at Manual Arts High School. Students that are part of the club earn community service hours and give back to various foundations. This semester, H.O.P.E Club will be funding Pennies For Patients and Jeans For Teens. Pennies for patients supports the fight against leukemia and lymphoma. Jeans for Teens provides jeans for the homeless. Though these are not the only foundations H.O.P.E club has supported, the team collectively decided that they would work to fundraise for these particular organizations this year.

Sosa Pineda, founder of H.O.P.E Club, has worked with his students to fundraise for a number of organizations over the last five years. He enjoys helping others that are in need and encouraging students to do the same. “I like doing community service and I like kids being involved in giving back to the community not just here at Manual Arts but also outside of our community,” explained Sosa pineda. He believes that H.O.P.E Club’s purpose is to assist those who are empty-handed. “Whether it be raising money, food, toys, or clothes it’s meant to help other people,” explained Sosa. “Giving back to other people, giving back to those who are less fortunate, that’s the mission of H.O.P.E Club.”

Jacqueline Argueta, president of the club, feels that being a part of the club changed her perspective on helping others. “Helping others makes me feel good about myself and it makes me feel humble,” said Argueta. As president of the H.O.P.E Club she plays her role by giving back to the community and making sure that the fellow members are up to par.  

Argueta is supported by many other members that are a part of this altruistic society. Stephanie Albarran, treasurer of the H.O.P.E Club, helps set up the fundraisers and manage the money. She joined the club to take action within her community. “I wanted to help others the same way I was helped,” said Albarran.

Though H.O.P.E Club’s mission is far from complete they will still be helping the foundations outside of Manual Arts High School for many years to come.